Desalination is not a new technique. While Desolenator’s technology is unique and patented, there are many parts of the world already using enormous desalination plants – but there are issues with this.
As you’ll read on our indiegogo fundraising page, many countries have adopted large scale desalination technologies, enormous plants that require huge costs to set up and to run as well as vast amounts of energy powered by fossil fuels. Did you know that whilst 0.7% of the worlds water supply comes from large scale desalination, its at the cost of 0.5% of the world’s total energy supply? Here are four cities already using desalination…
1. Sydney, Australia
Sydney, on the south-east coast of Australia, is a city of 4.5 million people. It’s been making use of a main desalination plant since 2010, supplying 15% of the population with an extended capacity of 30%.
According to Recycled Water Australia, “Sydney had desalinated seawater integrated into its urban potable supply in 2010. Sydney Water has further information on the development of a desalination plant at Kurnell, in the city’s south. The plant will be powered by 100% renewable energy.”
2. Malé, the Maldives
As this month’s events prove, the dependence of the capital of Indian Ocean island nation the Maldives, Malé, on a single water desalination system is extremely problematic. Malé is one of the most densely populated places in the world, and when its only desalination plant caught fire a few weeks ago, the city was plunged into a drinking water disaster.
3. San Diego, California
California’s ongoing drought this year has been the worst in decades. With water shortages now reaching critical point, the balmy U.S. state will inevitably be forced to find new ways of sustaining its population of 40 million people.
Now, after 15 years of planning and surviving 14 legal challenges, the Carlsbad desalination plant is finally being built to provide for residents of San Diego Country in Southern California. At a cost of $1 billion, it is expected to provide water to meet 7% of San Diego County’s annual water demand. According to its website, “Construction on the plant and pipeline is under way and the Project will be delivering water to the businesses and residents in San Diego County by 2016.”
4. Dubai, United Arab Emirates
As you’ll see from a previous blog post, Dubai almost entirely relies on desalination to function, although it was recently announced that the UAE is seeking new methods of supplying drinking water to its population.
As Bloomberg writes, “Desalination plants that make seawater potable supply 98.8 percent of Dubai’s water, with the remaining 1.2 percent coming from groundwater sources.”